Friday, July 8, 2016

Day 5 Cape Breton


I’ve heard the old expression too beautiful to look at! I wonder when God made Cape Breton if he didn’t think the same and shroud the place in permanent fog so we would ever only get an occasional glimpse. I have never been here when it wasn’t foggy. Honestly, there is a permanent highway sign warning of fog – so it’s not just me!!! We travelled in and out of rain and fog (mostly in) as the temperature readout on the truck slipped ever lower to 11 degrees!! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, you don’t come to the East Coast for weather!

While the lookouts at the top of Kelly’s Mountain were certainly not worth the stop today, the occasional peeks of breath-taking scenery reminded me of one of the reasons I love coming back.

The Arm of Gold Campground in Little Bras d’Or claims to be nearest to the Newfoundland ferry, thus why we are here. It is absolutely beautiful though, perched on a ridge overlooking the water. Large, open sites sporting rigs from all across North America. I suspect that most are here just to spend the night and we will see many of the same folks in line at the ferry terminal in the morning.

As we arrived I texted a teacher from my school who retired last year and returned to live in Cape Breton. She drove down to spend some time, catch up and share a meal with us. It was a wonderful visit! Before she left last year she had given me a bottle of wine. Unfortunate circumstances at that time meant that we were not able to share the wine. I told her I wouldn’t open it until we could drink it together and today we were able to do just that!! How wonderful life is, that we meet people along the way that can weave into our lives at various times and places!

Tomorrow we leave for Newfoundland. Although this past week has been full of fun and adventure I can barely contain my excitement at the thought of being in Newfoundland by this time tomorrow! Nothing quite like going home!


Enjoying our "aged" wine with our dinner

Canso Causeway leading to Cape Breton

One of the rare moments the fog cleared

The view from our campsite

Our campground is on Church Street, clearly this is why

View from our trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment